Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Knock on wood...

Work has been crazy this summer. I'm not sure if it was because I was gone most of June or if loosing a co-worker to retirement has pushed things over the edge (or the combination of both) but it is BUS-Y around here. There was a stint where I would work 7a-4:30p, then work at home from 6-9p. Luckily that's over. Although its been busy in our department I was in total shock, and inwardly pissed when I found out about the new trainee.

It's true, I was off for the majority of the month of June. I'm sorry, but when you get a free trip to Israel you go. My employer went above and beyond and employed a temp, our recent retiree, while I was away to manage my desk. It was a blessing. When I came back to work there was a lot to do, BUT there was a lot already off the books - aka little to no return phone calls or bills to be paid! Like I said a blessing, yet as a group we were still completely swamped.

About a week after readjusting to the daily grind my supervisor hurried our department of 3 into an impromptu meeting. At the meeting we were informed that D in the other department would be crossed trained in our department to help with the workload. I was fuming.

D & I are friends, we started our careers together and I unknowingly followed her here, to where we work now. Over the years we have become closer yet there is a form of rivalry between us, albeit a friendly rivalry. At the time of the "announcement" I couldn't see the bigger picture - we would get the help we needed, she would get the experience/resume bump - all I could see was rage, jealousy, but most of all I thought she was a backstabber.

What was I supposed to think?!? Here I am, back from vacation thinking everything is copacetic when she's been busy pleading her case to the Executive for my job? Really? Plus she had made no mention to me for the 2wks she knew about the "deal" and we're friends?!? OH and they're planning on giving her the more difficult cases, not just the easy ones?!?

Needless to say, after groaning about it to my parents and my closets friends I do see how this is a benefit. And after training her the other day I feel even a little triumphant - I mean, I was picked to train her not my co-workers in the department.

Now the tides have turned, our department is getting under control while D's department is blowing up so I don't think she'll be getting any of my - I mean, my department's work any time soon. For the sake of my own sanity I hope things remain calm for a bit...knock on wood. It's hell being overworked. And I can now say I am willing to accept the help when it's offered, rivalry aside.

No comments:

Post a Comment