Monday, August 16, 2010

Over It

Last week was my "long" week - meaning, I was scheduled to work on Friday because I had the prior Friday off. In case you didn't know, or didn't remember, my job is very employee friendly and comes with great benefits. One of those being having every other Friday off...the entire year. #2 had qusetioned if I had this past Friday off so we could hang out. I didn't but I was able to convince my boss to let me switch Fridays with myself so I could see #2 and spend the day with him.

I left the planning up to him because it was his last week in Chicago. I gave him the option of hanging out soley on Friday or including Thursday night. He chose to hangout Thursday and Friday. I was ecstatic.

Thursday night, after work and some adult activities, we decided to go to a historic Chicago eatery, The Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder Restaurant. It was a place #2 had never been but wanted to try before he left for Seattle. The place was charming, after about a beer-long wait we were seated. The food was delicious - Mediterraen bread a large as a blanket, pizza pot-pies, and a bottle of Chianti. YUM. While at dinner #2 mentioned that his buddies - 7 guys - were at a local pub Kelley's so we decided to head over there. It was when we walked in that our evening came to a virtual hault.

If you've been reading, or God-Forbid know me personally, you know that #2 & I clash when it comes to hanging out with friends. I am fun, yet he thinks he needs to babysit me. I could tell that it was boys night out and that #2 wanted to "be one of the guys" so I graciously told him that when they left to go to another bar I would just head home. #2 was obviously agreeable with this plan and disappeared to hang with his friends while about 3 of them were "stuck" with me.

I have to admit, by the end I was starting to feel like a charity case - I was ditched, and I'm sure his friends saw that and were trying to compensate. They were all very nice and I think I was holding my own well. At one point, we lost the majority of the group to the outdoor patio seating so it was decided that us straglers inside would move it out....but I needed to close my tab first. As I'm walking out the door towards the patio stairs #2 meets me at the landing and asked me to leave. He wanted to spend time with his friends. Alone. He wanted me to leave now, not when they went to a different bar. I was shocked. And I had a full drink - not to mention I had paid for 80% of dinner and all his drinks at the bar. I glanced at the patio, saw 2 girls take the last 2 seats at their table, handed him my full Bacarrdi & Diet then hailed a cab.

That poor cab driver...

I. Was. A. Hysterical. Mess. Crying over the phone to HLo about how shitty he had been to me, how I was being NICE by even offering to leave at the next bar and he did this? She was able to talk me off the ledge and was trying to have me see reason. I stormed into my apartment, threw all his stuff into the living room and shut the bedroom door crying myself to sleep.

About an hour later I felt him crawl into bed and wrap his arm around me. It was not acceptable. I immediately got up, slammed the door, slammed the bathroom door then slept on the couch. At about 4am, I woke up with a crik in my neck annoyed that I had surrendered my bed to that ass, pushed him over to his side then slept in my rightful place. In the morning all was forgotten, neither of us mentioning the previous night and continued with our day.

And we had a pretty good day kyaking the Chicago River - minus the merky areas it was gorgeous day in the city. I love this city. Then we spent 2hrs in Whole Foods (that place will get you!) drinking our way through the store trying to find an acceptable lunch. It was devine. On our way back to the apartment #2 was listening to his favorite ESPN radio show and the announcers were at a local bar. He wanted to go...badly. It was about 2:30pm when he dropped me off asking if it was ok if he went. I began to say sure but quickly recovered saying it was not fine but he can do what he wanted. He went. I was ditched. Again. And within less than 24hrs.

Granted I had to leave the city to make back to the 'burbs for a mother/daughter wine tasting by 4pm, but I had changed my life, MY plans to make room for him and couldn't do the same for me? Not even for another 1.5hrs?!?

I put his stuff in a brown paper bag near his overnight bag. He texted later that he felt bad for leaving me behind. In the end it worked out ok because I was able to beat the Friday night commuter traffic by leaving at 3:15 and not 4pm.

Now I'm left wondering if I should see him one last time before he goes. I can tell you my friends say no, but I'm still on the fence. It's already going to end, so why not let it be a sweet ending? Or at least satisfying...ahem. Plus he does have a couple of things I want back - hello apartment keys! Yaidonknow. To the dismay of my friends I probably will see him one last time...

I'm not exactly sure of a couple things but especially how I've let it get this far and why I continue to let things like this happen. I guess I knew things would end and I didn't want to push any issue while we still had time to hang out. But for a smart woman to do this for 2yrs straight is unacceptable. I've hopefully learned my lesson and will not let this happen to me again with the next guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment