Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Plight of the Single Drunk

Granted, the above statement should be used loosely and with some humor but it probably sums up the past 6months of single-hood for me. Welcome to my life. The life of the single drunk. And no, I am not an alcoholic - thankyouverylittle - but I am noticing a concerning trend.

Single JD. Drunk JD. Let's just say they don't get along all of the time. This I attribute to my new place in life - the third wheeler.

Everyone has their close friends, then their other group of friends separate from the best friend group. I lost my other group of friends - HE got them in the "break". So now I tend to ride the coat tails of my close friends when it comes to nights out.

Now, I know their friends well enough and I'm o.k. with being the only "outsider" while I'm tagging along. But even though I have almost mastered the act of the official third wheeler, there are a few loopholes which I'm finding lead to disastrous drinking...

Loophole #1: I know you, but I don't really know you
Yes, I will catch up with the familiar faces but, let's face it, I only know you on the superficial level. We've only partied together and we're not friends. Conversations are short and require some lubrication...SHOTS!

Loophole #2: A-l-l B-y M-y-s---e----l--------f (sing it!)
There will be times when I'm left by my lonesome. Its to be expected, plus I don't need a babysitter. However in this alone moment, I typically head to the bar making new friends along the way. Oh if not at the bar making friends with the guy standing next to me (or the male bar tender) then you'll definitely find me in the bathroom, making friends with the attendant or the girl in line behind me. We all become fast BFFs...SHOTS!

Loophole #3: Fitting In
What more is there to say...I'll take a double

Loophole #4: Let's Get the Party Started
My little catch phrase: "SUPER PARTY MODE!" tends to get attention and as a newbe of a group shows that I'm fun & outgoing. But it requires shots, and lots of them.

Don't get me wrong, I am a confident firecracker most days but being an outsider does this to me. Once the drinks are a-flowin' I feel more comfortable and am able to unwind a little. And not have the above list be the main focus. As a single gal living in a couples world I'll fully admit to turning to the drink for support at times. Let's see what happens this weekend...

1 comment:

  1. I actually sang along...alllllll by myyyyyselllf, don't wanna be etc etc! Don't turn in to an alcoholic, your typing will be slurred!! xx

    ReplyDelete