Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Circus

I am lucky enough to not be an only child. But for the past several years I have practically become one. Its something that I have taken for granted - having that one other person to rely on or take advice from or to just goof off with. I miss it.

My sister is in her late twenties and is polar opposite from me: she is a spunky risk taker who has broken a lot of hearts. She is not always the most reliable or responsible person which can cause a lot of tension but really, her lease on life is something that I admire...and at times can really hate.

For her, college didn't work out. She went to State but got the boot for poor grades after her freshman year. A is actually really smart, but is a party animal which has gotten her into trouble more than once. After that hiccup she went on to making big bucks at an investment firm then she decided to go to culinary school in her mid twenties. After graduation she packed up and moved to Hawaii.

Well, she didn't actually move there. She got a job on the cruise line that island jumps, working form the bottom (peeling potatoes) to the top (Sous Chef). After a year on the ship - and just before we were able to take advantage of her family discount - she packed up and headed home. Without any prospects lined up or connections she was able to land a gig at a local fine-dining establishment within a week of her return. After 2yrs of being fed up with male dominated kitchen and lack of respect she walked off her job and a mere 5 days later was on a flight to Atlanta joining our favorite crazy blond pop-star's tour as a chef. And now that tour is coming to Chicago. And I will be backstage soaking it all in.

I am most excited for some sister time - I took off work and plan to hang out with her during the day before the show. To see what she has been doing these several long months, put faces to names, and to actually see how happy she is with this job since she sounds extremely happy on the phone. Then it will be time to party - I took off tomorrow too just for this specific purpose.

This tour wraps up next week, then A will be home for a whopping 7days before hitting the road as executive chef for a different band. She says that she'll have more freedom to come home for this next tour but I doubt it. I guess she'll have to twist my arm to go out and see her...back stage...again.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny how 2 completely different people can be siblings! My sister and I are totally opposite as well so I know where you're coming from! I definitely wish I was more like my sister - I'd like to be the one who life seems to come easily for for once hehe!! Hope you have a great time with her!

    ReplyDelete