Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Unwinding

"I need a cocktail. Let's be drink/food whores tonight"

This is the opening line to S - my best friend & long standing gym date every Wednesday. She agrees, perhaps begrudgingly since she's on a diet. But there is always a "free pass" card if one of us need it. I needed it. I cashed in.

All guilt fell by the way side when I walked up to S in the new sushi joint in town - she was already seated with a beautiful strawberry-basil mojito by her side...half gone.

"Let's order like we're not planning on going to the gym afterwards" says S

Ah, words that warm my heart. Just what I needed.

We continued our sushi party - 5 rolls ordered, including "fancy" rolls (read: expensive). A special treat since we had a gift card. Delicious.

Several mojitos later...dessert? Yes please. There are a few places in town that are famous. After running the list we make it downtown ('ville, not Chi) and order. A glass of wine later...or two...it comes. We kill it. Its part satisfaction, part guilt. But its only Wednesday, we have 4 days to make it up at the gym.

S is my go-to gal. She is someone I chat with all day during work via email then meet at the gym 2-3 times per week. Not to mention the shopping trips, movie dates, or nights out on the weekend. Today I needed her. She was there. No questions asked. And she knew what I needed. An ear and an opinion. An honest opinion.

I'm struggling with this 2wks notice...I was countered offered and it was good. Very good. A decision I thought was made has been shattered and I'm back at square one. Confused. With a headache. And needing a cocktail - or two - tonight especially in light of the notice and fender bender in the downpour last night - no injuries, a less than 5mph bumper kiss but annoying all the same.

The best thing about the evening was how much I felt she wanted to help. The things we discussed never began with you this, you that. it was always, "we". You may think that is strange but its not. S helps me through a lot. She was the one that held my hand, handed me Kleenex through the "break". But its more than that - our friendship expands more than 10 years. We played Sweet Valley High board games together, watched Shag, traveled together. She is able to help me help myself at times. As I hope I help her. It is a true friendship, a sisterhood.

I think this is what I needed. A drink. A person to vent to. A person that would give an opinion, not say "its your decision, you're an adult". I think we - I mean, I - made a decision. The stress is slowly dissipating. As is that terrible headache.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh, Shag was my favorite movie when I was little. I cannot believe someone else out there likes it!

    And it's soo great to have a friend like that.

    ReplyDelete