Thursday, April 16, 2009

Second Guessing


Everyone does it. But for me there is this innate sense of questioning following any decision. This feeling doesn't discriminate. I second guess things from what I ate to what I bought to what I drank (or how much) to whom I slept with.

Why am I programmed to do this? Is it sheer terror of the unknown?

If you eat a doughnut, do you second guess it? Do you feel you should spend that extra 20min on the treadmill to make up for it? Do I have time for that extra 20min? What if I gain weight?

If you sleep with someone, do you later think - was it too soon? Did I give the wrong impression? Will he call?

Even though at the time of these decisions I am confident in my choice, its that short period of time afterwards that I begin to question it.

This week I think I broke the cardinal rule in apartment hunting. I looked up the new listings in the area where I've already signed the lease. There are places that include parking and are cheaper. I feel slighted, confused. Did I make a too hasty of a decision? Is this the area that I really want to live?

This prompted me to jump onto Google to see what was around. I've done this time and time before and find there is plenty in my neighborhood. But this time, I felt panic. The neighborhoods where my friends live and play is about 2miles away. Walking distance, yes. But in heels? That's a cab ride. Now my thinking is: Did I choose a place too far west? Will they come to my 'hood? Can I really ride my bike around? How will I get to North Ave. Beach in the summer? How will I make this work?

The excitement of having this shiny new apartment is wearing off. I am becoming anxious about this move and am concerned it was a bad choice or wrong location or...

What happened to the high I was feeling less than 24hrs ago?

Will it come back?

I hope so....

3 comments:

  1. Awww sweetie! You just have to go with your gut. It is easy to say and harder to do, but I would go with your first instinct. If you don't love the new apartment it's only for a year right? You could always try something different in a year. Who knows, maybe you'll be in a totally different frame of mind a week from now and be stoked about your decision!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm just having yo-yo emotions about it all - one minute I'm bursting with excitement, the next worried. When I walked into the apartment I knew it was for me so I will take your advice and trust that feeling! I'm planning on exploring this weekend so that should put my mind at ease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, you've sort of read my mind. This afternoon I wrote tomorrows post and it's sort of along these lines! I'm not sure it'll help you, but it might be worth a look (I'm shameless, it's official! lol). I'm sure you've made the right decision but only time will tell!

    Never regret sleeping with a boy! If it feels wrong afterwards move on to the next!! x

    ReplyDelete